Thursday, April 19, 2012

Food Related Somethings



Sometimes, I get random craving for foods, bananas, chocolate, you name it. The other day, I was craving french fries. 

Generally once I get something in my mind, especially food related related somethings, it sticks. For several weeks now, I've been craving sushi. That's not to rare for me, I love sushi. But the craving didn't go away, until I satisfied it at Ming ten, an absolutely wonderful all you can eat Chinese and Japanese buffet for just ten dollars. 

Now the other day, I had a mad craving for french fries. I've been trying to eat healthier, and limit my consuming, but that's a rant for another day. However, I had some potatoes, olive oil and an oven easily accessible, and so, I figured, why not try to make my own?

Success. I don't know if I'm ever going to buy french fries out again. Never mind, I'm sure that I will, forget that last comment. But they were delicious. 

I cut potatoes into reasonable french fry sizes, and then soaked them in water. This is a trick I learned from dad from when he makes hash browns, it asorbs the starch in the potatoes, prevents them from sticking together and makes them crispier, I'm sure that there is a more exact science behind this, but I've never really been too sciency. 

I then put them on a non-stick foil lined pan, and drizzled olive oil and a little bit of salt over them and tossed, and then baked, turning them from time to time. 

Finally, I drained them on paper towels and sprinkled more salt on them and enjoyed. A-maz-ing. Fan-tas-tic. Wonderful. 

This time, I only served them with ketchup, but I'm excited to experiment with dipping aiolis in the future. 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment